– Post by MysteryPeople Contributor Meike Alana
Recently I had the opportunity to attend Bouchercon, the world’s largest convention of mystery readers and writers. Between Crime Fiction Coordinator Scott Montgomery and Director of Suspense Molly Odintz, I was the most seasoned (OK, I was the oldest) member of the BookPeople team in attendance, so I think I was the only one vertical at breakfast time. Thus I was lucky enough to attend the New Author Breakfast and learned about some exciting new talents to watch for. Here are just a few names and titles:
- Matthew Betley – Over Watch: Former Marine officer Betley introduces unyielding Marine Logan West in this action-packed, globe-trotting, edge-of-your-seat debut thriller.
- Susan Alice Bickford – A Short Time to Die: Two women from opposite sides of the country find their lives inextricably bound by a murderous quest for revenge. A Short Time to Die comes out this upcoming January!
- Grant Bywaters – The Red Storm: Winner of the Minotaur Books/Private Eye Writers of America Best First Private Eye Novel Competition introducing a black ex-boxer PI working in 1930’s New Orleans.
- Ross Carley – Dead Drive: Set in Indianapolis, this well-crafted mystery showcases protagonist Wolf Ruger, a single Iraqi vet, investigating foul play in the high- technology industry.
- Dana Chamblee Carpenter – Bohemian Gospel: Set against the historical reign of the Golden and Iron King, this riveting debut follows an unusual girl’s quest to discover her past and define her destiny.
- Bruce Robert Coffin – Among the Shadows: With the last name “Coffin,” Bruce was destined to draw on his many years of law enforcement experience to write this first installment in the John Byron mystery series.