Bobby McCue was the manager of LA’s Mystery Bookstore for over seven years. Know as “Dark Bobby” by many of us for his love of the bleakest noir and hardest of hard boiled, he has valuable opinions about the crime fiction field and is someone I consult with regularly. Recently he shared his Top 10 of 2011 on facebook, and has allowed us to share it here with you. With some of the overlaps on our list, you can tell he was (and still is) my mentor.
Bobby’s Top 10
1. The End of Everything – Megan Abbott
2. Crimes in Southern Indiana – Frank Bill
Excellent writing & thought provoking stories, much like Daniel Woodrell. If you liked Pike by Benjamin Whitmer in 2010, you will love this compilation.
3. The Informationist – Taylor Stevens
Excellent writing…great character & story. If you are a Lee Child fan, this is a must read, as is Taylor’s second book, The Innocent.
4. Stolen Souls — Stuart Neville
5. The Outlaw Album – Daniel Woodrell
6. The Drop – Michael Connelly
7. Fun & Games – Duane Swierczynski
8. You’re Next – Gregg Hurwitz
9. The Sentry – Robert Crais
10. The Informant – Thomas Perry
The Tiger’s Wife – Tea Obreht